November 22, 2019

Marianopolis Student Union Congress

2019-2020 Academic Year

14th Meeting

 

Location: Marianopolis College, on the traditional unceded Indigenous lands of the Kanien’kehá:ka/Mohawk Nation

Day: November 22, 2019

Time of Start: 4:16P.M.

Facilitator: Aria Khiabani

Meeting type: Weekly

Note taker and timekeeper: Zhenling Wang

List of attendees (Congress members): Aria Khiabani, Andrew Petrecca-Berthelet, Ying Ge, Amanda Morrone, Michael Chalkhoun, Darya Jabbari, Cherry Sun, Zhaoran Wu, Zhenling Wang, Laurence Liang, Steven Gong, Ying Chen, Misha Fotovati

Regrets: none

List of attendees (guests): Massimo Mazza

Student Services Representative: none 

Quorum: 7

 

Agenda Items

 

 

  • Call to Order

 

The Regular Weekly Marianopolis Student Union (MSU) Congress Meeting of November 22nd, 2019, was convened at 4:16 P.M. by President Aria Khiabani.

 

 

  • Roll Call of Members

 

The MSU Congress Members who are present at this meeting are: Aria Khiabani, Andrew Petrecca-Berthelet, Ying Ge, Amanda Morrone, Michael Chalkhoun, Darya Jabbari, Cherry Sun, Zhaoran Wu, Zhenling Wang, Laurence Liang, Steven Gong, Ying Chen, Misha Fotovati

 

 

  • Guests presented by Aria Khiabani

 

The guest who is present at this meeting is: Massimo Mazza, a representative from the Marianopolis World Review.

 

 

 

  • Approval of last meeting’s Minutes

 

The Minutes of the Regular Weekly MSU Congress Meeting of November 15, 2019 were written by Zhenling Wang. These Minutes were approved by Aria Khiabani on the 22nd of November, 2019.

 

 

  • Approval of the Agenda

 

The Agenda of this day’s meeting has been unanimously approved. 

 

 

  • Unfinished Business and General Orders

 

 

 

  • New Business
  • Cultural Week PM by Zhaoran

 

The event went generally pretty well with many participants in each activity. 

30 people signed up for and attended the sushi workshop where all the ingredients were finished by the end of the event. Amy, the librarian in charge of the Marianopolis Crane Project, was very happy about the outcome of the crane workshop as more than 80 cranes were made that day. Lots of people visited the Club Fair. The fashion show went well but only had 4 participants. 

 

 

  • Memorandum of Agreement presented by Misha

 

The Memorandum of Agreement is completed. The next course of action will be to communicate with the Director General and administration. Misha and Aria are calling for a last round of concerns among Congress members to make any necessary amendments. If there is none, they will schedule a meeting for next week to address the administration about the Memorandum, which will be in place from the beginning of next semester once approved.

 

 

  • Yearbook Photos by Ying C.

 

The Yearbook Committee had a meeting this Tuesday. The issue of how the photos will be gathered from the clubs was discussed. Congress suggests to create a Google photo album and invite clubs to send their pictures of all events as the year goes. Ying G. has informed club executives about the plan but hasn’t asked them to send anything yet. 

Ying C. might make a reminder post of this issue during winter break on the MSU Facebook group. 

The Yearbook Committee will also contact the Marianopolis Broadcast Network, Photography Club, and some other dedicated school photographers such as Katherine for the pictures they’ve taken for school activities and events. 

 

 

  • Vow of Silence PM by Cherry

 

It’s been a long time since a Vow of Silence was organized last time at Marianopolis. This year Congress managed to raise $60. Cherry has collected and sorted out all the campaigning supplies to be used for next year. The Vow of Silence is in celebration of Universal Children’s Day. Participants pledge to be silent for a certain political cause, and by remaining silent raise awareness and reflect on the issue itself.

 

 

  • Self Love PM presented by Darya

 

The Self Love workshop took place on Thursday. Out of the 100 goodie bags that were bought, 98 were given away. DavidsTea agreed to sponsor the event with 2 tanks of tea initially. However, they were only able to prepare one tank as of the morning of the event day, the other tank unfilled. The tea thus ran out quickly once the event started. In the future, Congress will contact the specific sponsor the day before the event and remind them to prepare anything required. 

They took some pictures of the event. The social justice committee also created an Instagram account. Congress members are strongly encouraged to drop by at the event.

Congress will be using the leftover chocolates for future events.

 

 

  • Study Night PM presented by Ying Ge

 

Another study night was held last night. Around 20-30 people visited. There was generally a nice vibe and participants were quiet.

Leftover snacks from the last study night was used. One box of cookies and half a bag of chips were left from last night. Ying G. proposes to purchase more snacks for future study nights. 

 

 

  • COAC Climate Plan Vote? presented by Laurence

 

A few amendments to the Climate Plan were made: 

  • Add after “recognition of indigenous lands”: the MSU will take care of the land that once belonged to the Indigenous community
  • Rephrase to make the point above a goal rather than an acknowledgement 
  • Rephrase point of “phase out plastic bottles”: take steps instead of completely phase out
  • Remove dates in all goals to “as soon as possible”

In terms of the “phasing out of plastic bottles”, Congress must speak to the cafe and cafeteria administration team before promising to reach a certain goal and making any legislative actions. Darya and Andrew will bring up the concerns at the most recent Food Committee meeting.

Laurene states that under the COAC joint climate plan, student unions will not necessarily be held accountable for any unachieved goals; the proposed plan is in fact a voluntary act. 

 

The MSU Congress suggests Laurence to present the existing plan as “the MSU proposed Climate Plan”. The MSU Congress will proceed to sign the proposal once COAC approves of the document. 

 

 

  • Congress Room Changes presented by Aria  

 

Aria proposes to relocate the furniture in the Congress office to maximize the amount of working space.

Congress motioned to vote on relocating the furniture in the Congress office after the meeting

(passed-majority)

 

The discussion of the purchase of a coat rack was reopened. Some Congress members propose to purchase a coat rack with carry-over money accumulated over the years, which by principle is acceptable. However, the money accumulated remains students’ money. If there was interest made from Congress’ savings account, then the money used will be distinctively not students’ money. On the end-of-year expense report it would not make a difference for students to view either. 

Congress motioned to vote on moving forward to consider purchasing a coat rack to be put in the Congress office

(passed-majority) 

Congress will decide on a specific coat rack to purchase later.

Congress members are reminded not to leave any personal work on the tables and clean the working environment after use. Things that certain club execs leave in the Congress office temporarily should be claimed and picked up as soon as possible.

Congress will assign the cubbies on the wall to each member. 

 

 

  • Zen day presented by Andrew on Trudy’s behalf

 

Zen day is going as planned. Trudy is still working on the wellness kits.

Trudy is inviting Congress members to help make wellness kits at the student lounge during AP on Dec. 3rd.

Aria has volunteered to help.

 

 

  • Doggie news presented by Andrew on Trudy’ behalf

 

2 new therapist dogs will visit on Dec. 5th and will be at school all day.

 

 

  • End of Semester party presented by Andrew 

 

The venue is called OCT Saint-Ambroise INC. and located at 3970 St-Ambroise Street, Montreal, Quebec, H4C 2C7. The MSU will have access to a lobby room which can contain maximum 550 people, along with 6-7 spaces for parking. The venue is 4800 square feet. The venue provides storage for boots and coats and Congress will take shifts to be in charge of coat check, with 2 people there at all times. 

 

The venue is located near Marche Atwater. Rental fee is $4000, not including cleaning fees of $425 and music license of $75 that grants the right to play music. The lessor of the venue, Emmanuel, will be there the entire day and available to contact till 4am for a fee of $150. The entire payment will be paid in 2 parts.

 

Andrew has found a furniture company, Dominion Entrepot, which covers all furniture and transportation with $1970. The room will be cut in half, where half will be cocktail tables, and the other half dance floor. There will be 2 bars, one on opposite sides of the room. The cocktail table each comes with 5 stools and makes the room seem full. However, Congress would like to have maximum 50 people sitting at all times. There might be 7 or 8 cocktail tables.  

 

Class3 will be in charge of the light and sound system. They have offered to provide the minimum required setup for $1943. The company’s advantage is that they have some special small speakers that would make sure all corners can hear the music well. 

 

Andrew would prefer to have DJs from Marianopolis or someone Congress knows of. Andrew knows someone from Dawson who offers to DJ for $250 for 5h, as well Mihan from Marianopolis that DJs for $150-200 for 5h.

 

The venue referred a company for bartenders that offers 3 bartenders per bar for $1000. Andrew plans on having 2 bartenders per bar (4 in total) and to pay them minimum wage, which would be in total around $400. Andrew is also looking for recommendations of licensed bartenders, potentially at Marianopolis. Although Congress will need to supply the right tools and cups, it can still save $700.

 

Andrew found a deal with 3 bouncers and a chief for $410 for 5hrs. 2 of them will be guarding the front door, 1 at the back door, and 1 will be walking around. 

 

Alcohol license has been obtained. Andrew plans on buying 20 bottles of liquor ($25 per bottle), 25 ounces of liquor and 1 ounce of shot, in total $500 worth of liquor. Leftovers can be saved for the end-of-year party. Instead of shots and liquor, Congress can also dilute the liquor with juice and provide alcohol punch, which will definitely be much cheaper. 

 

Congress will wait till the weekend before the party and estimate from sold tickets to finalize the amount of liquor needed and purchase. They will decide on how the alcohol punch and actual alcohol system works. 

 

Drinking games such as ping pong balls and cups will be provided. 

 

Congress motioned to vote on setting the time of the End-of-semester party to 9:30pm to 2am

(Passed-unanimously)

Andrew has estimated for around 250-300 people to come. An estimated cost will be $8500, which is perfectly under the original budget given. For early bird tickets, Andrew has two potential selling plans: 1)the first 150 tickets are sold at $20, the rest at $25, which would yield a total profit of $6750;2)the first 150 tickets are sold at $25, the rest at $30, which would yield a total profit of $8250. He will also offer group tickets that will motivate people to convince their friends to come. 

 

Amanda will check with Eventbrite and figure out how the online purchase system works and check how much Congress lost last year to hold the end-of-semester party. This year Congress will try to advertise it well and lose no more than $2000. Michael, Ying G., Ying C., Andrew, Aria, and Stephanie have volunteered to be a part of the marketing team. 

 

The exact pricing will be determined next time. Congress might cut costs on the cocktail tables.

 

Next Friday Congress will hold its own Secret Santa and will purchase a gift for Trudy who has injured recently. 

 

 

  • Student Advocacy Meeting update presented by Michael

 

This point has been tabled to the next meeting. 

 

 

  • Movember project presented by Michael 

 

This point has been tabled to the next meeting. 

 

 

  • Varia
  • COAC Climate Plan Plan B (quick) by Laurence

 

Laurence will remove all dates from the proposed Climate Plan and address it as the “MSU climate plan” instead of the joint climate plan of COAC. COAC as a whole will create one of its own together at the meeting. This plan will be put into action for now until Laurence reports back with a new collective COAC plan for the MSU to sign. 

 

 

  • MariWork update (quick) by Laurence

 

Congress motioned to vote on adopting the MSU Climate Plan presented by Laurence

(Passed-unanimously)

 

 

  • Adjournment

 

Motion to adjourn – Passed (majority/unanimously)

 

This meeting was adjourned at 6:10P.M. 

Total duration: 1 hour and 54 minutes

By |2019-12-17T19:11:25+00:00December 17th, 2019|Minutes|0 Comments

Leave A Comment