November 3, 2019

Marianopolis Student Union Congress

2019-2020 Academic Year

11th Meeting

Location: Marianopolis College, on the traditional unceded Indigenous lands of the Kanien’kehá:ka/Mohawk Nation

Day: November 3, 2019

Time of Start: 10:05 AM

Facilitator: Aria Khiabani

Meeting type: Weekly

Note taker and timekeeper: Ying Chen, Zhenling Wang

List of attendees (Congress members): Aria Khiabani, Andrew Petrecca-Berthelet, Amanda Morrone, Darya Jabbari, Cherry Sun, Zhenling Wang, Laurence Liang, Steven Gong, Ying Chen, Misha Fotovati

Regrets: Ying Ge, Zhaoran Wu, Michael Chalkhoun

List of attendees (guests): Justine Archibald Coughlin

Student Services Representative: Trudy Ste-Croix

Quorum: 7

 

Agenda Items

 

 

  • Call to Order

 

The Regular Weekly Marianopolis Student Union (MSU) Congress Meeting of Nov. 3rd, 2019 was convened at 10:05 A.M. by President Aria Khiabani.

 

 

  • Roll Call of Members

 

The MSU Congress Members who are present at this meeting are: Aria Khiabani, Andrew Petrecca-Berthelet, Amanda Morrone, Darya Jabbari, Cherry Sun, Zhenling Wang, Laurence Liang, Steven Gong, Ying Chen, Misha Fotovati

 

 

  • Guests presented by Aria Khiabani

 

The guests who are present at this meeting are: Justine Archibald Coughlin, a representative  of a tree planting proposal from Education’s End class, and Trudy Ste-Croix, the Student Services Representative.

 

 

  • Approval of last meeting’s Minutes

 

The Minutes of the Regular Weekly MSU Congress Meeting of Oct. 25th, 2019 were written by Zhenling Wang. These Minutes were approved by Aria Khiabani on the 3rd day of November, 2019.

 

 

  • Approval of the Agenda

 

The Agenda of this day’s meeting has been unanimously approved. 

 

 

  • Unfinished Business and General Orders

 

 

 

  • New Business
  • Native Women’s Shelter of Montreal Fundraiser PM presented by Andrew and Cherry

 

Boba($2 per cup), popcorn and candy were sold. The 200 cups of boba were bought at a decent price. Congress made between $150 and $200 but the exact final amount is still being calculated. All profits will be donated to the Native Women’s Shelter of Montreal.

The money collected from Dare to Wear will be donated to another charity, 28TooMany. Although not many teachers participated and none of them reached their pledge goal, all participating staff dressed up on Halloween and raised about $80 in total. 

 

 

  • Tree Planting Proposal presented by Justine Archibald Coughlin

 

Students in the Education’s End class felt the need of a tree planting proposal. Justine Archibald Coughlin is a representative of this group of students and proposed to implement an option to donate to certain organisations through Omnivox. They would also like for this donation to be included as one of the options when students pay their tuition. However, there is the possibility of people refusing to pay for it considering the existing Millenium Foundation donation option.The alternative of raising money through fundraisers for specific charities, such as TreeCanada and OneTreePlanted, was brought up. 

The Education’s End class plans to present the proposal to the Director General and is wondering if Congress would like to endorse and support the proposal. They will send Congress a document of more information before next Congress meeting for Congress to discuss and decide. 

Laurence suggests to organize an inter-cegep tree planting session.

 

 

  • Marianopolis Crane Project presented by Aria Khiabani

 

Aria met with Amy about the Marianopolis Crane Project. The Marianopolis Crane Project, which will be running all school year, has 6 stations on campus where people can make cranes and discuss the book through an online forum. Library coordinators have reached out to Congress for help in marketing and advertising.

Cranes made for the project will be donated to monuments in Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Japan, some will also be hung on the ceiling of Marianopolis Library. The cranes may also be used to celebrate the 400th anniversary of the birth of Marguerite Bourgeoys.

Congress will help market and raise awareness on the context of the project in the MSU. Zhaoran may also incorporate the project in the multicultural week. Word of mouth was an effective advertising method. Cherry will make a short video explaining the project during winter break if possible. 

 

 

  • Library Basement Update presented by Ying C.

 

The Library Basement Committee held their first meeting on Friday, where they got to know everyone and the basic information of the project. 

By the end of November, the committee is required to submit a proposal of what they want in the basement. They plan on sending out a survey to students soon regarding students’ suggestions and interests for the new library basement, which can be incorporated into the survey that Student Advocacy planned on doing before. The construction end date is not known yet since the committee has requested for more time to plan. 

The committee is planning to have about 239 seats in the basement, same as before, which is capable to contain 10% of the Marianopolis community. There will be a wheelchair ramp and might be an exit downstairs. 

The committee hasn’t started designing yet and is welcoming designs or ideas of libraries from Congress. They will try to rearrange the spaces to separate group study spaces from individual study spaces so the two won’t disturb each other. 

 

 

  • Congress Member finances by Steven G.

 

Steven suggests for Congress to announce the expenses that Congress has been making for any purposes as well to value transparency. 

Amanda suggests to set a budget for each Congress member to let them know how much they’re allowed to work around with. Each Congress member is also suggested to give a budget to Amanda at the beginning of the semester in order to set aside some money from the overall budget for emergency uses. This budget for each Congress member will be flexible and spare money can be transferred from project to project.  

Amanda and Steven will work on an expense report covering all Congress expenses ever since the beginning of the year. Congress will review it together and publish it as soon as possible.

 

 

  • Square Reader by Steven G.

 

Initially brought up by Ying G. during the retreat, Steven suggests for Congress to buy a square reader so that students who don’t have cash can pay with debit at bake sales. 

The square reader costs $50 and takes off 2.65% for every purchase. 

Amanda points out that in the case of a debit reader, it won’t be as easy to keep track of the amount of money made on a daily basis. The option of setting up a new account for bake sale was proposed. Trudy also points out that it might be fairer to implement the Square reader in January since a lot of clubs already did their bake sale without the reader. 

Laurence will discuss with the technology committee on how to track how much was made on a daily basis with a free software by Square. 

 

 

  • COAC Activities Update presented by Laurence

 

The MSU will refrain from setting November as the mental health awareness month but is interested in the initiative of “empowerment”, to which Social Justice’s self-love workshop is associated. Ying will mention “empowerment” in advertisements of the self-love workshop to align MSU with the monthly initiative of COAC. 

The inter-collegial jamming session regarding Indigenous people’s territorial rights might be postponed from Nov. 17th since the event has not been officially supported by any Indigenous representatives. 

COAC is also thinking of inviting several sport teams from each cegep to the McGill SportsFest in mid-January.

 

 

  • Joint cégep climate plan proposal by Laurence

 

For the joint cegep climate plan, COAC came up with 20 objectives for each school to follow. 

Laurence will upload the official document all objectives to the Congress folder.

 

 

  • DEC Affiliation by Laurence 

 

Regarding the pros and cons of the affiliation with DEC, COAC had a call with DEC at the meeting. DEC claims that any student unions that adhere to the goals, policies and demands of DEC will be considered a part of DEC and will have access to their communication platform with information on strikes and events. The student unions don’t have to enforce all demands of DEC. 

However, according to the DEC constitution, the organization needs the names of five students from the student union in order for the college to be officially affiliated. Moreover, any 5 students participating in any kind of activity organized by the DEC will be seen as representatives of the entire student union and that the school will be considered to be affiliated with DEC. 

In conclusion, students of the MSU may be affiliated with DEC of their own free will, however, they will not be representing the MSU since the policy of “5 random students representing the entire school” is not credible.

Congress motioned to vote on the MSU not affiliated with DEC 

(passed-majority)

 

 

  • Halloween Week PM presented by Andrew and Cherry

 

On Tuesday, Congress sold boba, popcorn and candy and showed a movie. For the entire week, around $650 of expenses and $800 of profit were made. This is the first time in a long while for Congress to order boba and have them delivered to school for students to buy. The trial was very successful and the student population enjoyed it a lot. To be more environment-friendly, the possibility of selling metal boba straws was proposed. Congress was recommended to not put ice in boba next time to avoid boba being watery, to order the delivery closer to AP, as well as to work with better known boba stores. Congress is planning to host another boba event next semester. 

On Thursday, Literature club held a successful costume contest. The tarot card reading was very popular and had many people waiting in line. The tarot reader cost $200 for 3 hours, which was relatively expensive, next time Congress doesn’t have to hire someone extremely professional. The idea of collaborating with clubs was good since it released a lot of burden for Congress to come up with activity ideas. The face painters were also very popular. Student services had one but Congress should hire someone as well. 

 

 

  • Vow of Silence on Nov 20 presented by Cherry

 

Cherry needs to pick a theme for Vow of silence that is happening on November 20th. The fundraiser collaborates with the charity Me to We to empower people around the world who lack education, water, etc.

Cherry is planning to make pins that say “We are silent” on them and to sell them to donate to Me to We to support the United Nations Children’s Day. She will look further into pricing.

Congress might decide on a goal for the fundraiser. 

 

 

  • Varia
  • Date change for the poetry night by Darya

 

This year’s Poetry Night has been changed to take place on November 13th at night at Shaika Cafe since the venue was booked for Vanier Poetry Night. 

Darya will contact Ying C. to make a Facebook post.

 

 

  • Self love workshops by Darya

 

Darya’s looking for name suggestions to replace the word “workshop”. 

The event will take place on November 14. At the event, clubs such as jack.org, spoken word and vegan club have been invited and will have their own different booths to host activities. There will be information booths where students can learn about ways to love themselves, yoga, calm music, and some treats promoting a healthy lifestyle. 

At the door, approximately 50 little goody bags including face masks, snacks, etc. will be given out. 

 

 

  • Movember presented by Andrew

 

There will be a haircutting event happening on November 12 under the theme of Movember. Andrew has invited 4 barbers to come in and give free haircuts, mostly for guys, such as beard touch-ups and haircut trims. The event will take place in Student Lounge. Congress will start setting up at 11:30 and event will start at 12:00. All barbers will bring their own equipment.

Congress will market it and emphasize on the fact that the offer is 100% free. This event will also be good promotion for the barber shop. 

 

 

  • Community Garden presented by Misha

 

This point has been tabled to the meeting.  

 

 

  • Adjournment

 

Motion to adjourn – Passed (unanimously)

 

This meeting was adjourned at 11:45 A.M.

Total duration: 1 hour and 40 minutes

By |2019-11-11T21:23:14+00:00November 11th, 2019|Minutes|0 Comments

Leave A Comment