October 18, 2019

Marianopolis Student Union Congress

2019-2020 Academic Year

9th Meeting

Location: Marianopolis College, on the traditional unceded Indigenous lands of the Kanien’kehá:ka/Mohawk Nation

Day: October 18th, 2019

Time of Start: 4:18PM

Facilitator: Aria Khiabani

Meeting type: Weekly

Note taker and timekeeper: Ying Chen

List of attendees (Congress members): Aria Khiabani, Amanda Morrone, Michael Chalkhoun, Darya Jabbari, Cherry Sun, Zhaoran Wu, Misha Fotovati, Ying Chen

Regrets: Andrew Petrecca-Berthelet, Ying Ge, Zhenling Wang, Steven Gong, Laurence Liang, Trudy Ste-Croix

List of attendees (guests): Gabriel-Teodor Beldea

Student Services Representative: none

Quorum: 7

 

Agenda Items

 

 

  • Call to Order

 

The Regular Weekly Marianopolis Student Union (MSU) Congress Meeting of October 19th, 2019, was convened at 4:18PM by President Aria Khiabani.

 

 

  • Roll Call of Members

 

The MSU Congress Members who are present at this meeting are: Aria Khiabani, Amanda Morrone, Michael Chalkhoun, Darya Jabbari, Cherry Sun, Zhaoran Wu, Misha Fotovati, and Ying Chen

 

 

  • Guests presented by Aria Khiabani

 

The guests who are present at this meeting are: Gabriel-Teodor Beldea, a representative from the Marianopolis World Review.

 

 

  • Approval of last meeting’s Minutes

 

The Minutes of the Regular Weekly MSU Congress Meeting of October 11th, 2019 were written by Zhenling Wang and Ying Chen. These Minutes were approved by Aria Khiabani on the 19th day of October, 2019.

 

 

  • Approval of the Agenda

 

The Agenda of this day’s meeting has been unanimously approved. 

 

 

  • Unfinished Business and General Orders

 

 

 

  • New Business

 

 

 

  • Charity Payment presented by Cherry

 

The MSU Congress has decided to donate all fundraised money from “Dare to Wear” to the UK-based charity 28 Too Many. They accept both physical cheques through mail and online payment, but not E-transfers. However, for online payments, the website requires the donor to pay a minimum of 5% of the overall donation when making transactions online. 

Depending on how large the overall donation is, Congress is willing to pay the 5% transaction fee using Congress budget. As a result, it is suggested to work with a charity that is based in Canada for simplicity reasons next time. However, the Financial Policy Committee has decided not to use student allocated money for charity.

So far, the pledges made by participating staff and faculty of “Dare to Wear” are around 100$-200$. 

 

Congress motioned to vote on Congress absorbing the transaction fee of 5% of the donation

(passed-majority)

 

 

  • Library Basement Committee presented by Aria

 

The coordinators of the library approached Aria and expressed their interest to have 2 student representatives on the Library Basement Committee to come up with a design of how the library basement would look. Preferably they would like to invite one student from each year, in which one is from the social science program and the other from the science program.

 

 Congress motioned to blind vote on selecting student representatives to be on the Library Basement Committee

(passed-majority)

Annie Nguyen and Ying Chen have been voted upon to be on the Library Basement Committee. Ying C. will contact Annie Nguyen.

 

 

  • General Assembly Extension presented by Aria

 

Extension of the General Assembly (taken place on Sept. 19th) is taking place on October 22nd. It has been integrated as part of Law Society and Justice Certificate. All Congress members are highly recommended to attend and help distribute pizza at the end. The assembly needs a quorum of 60 people and all students who attend will get 2 slices of pizza. Aria will confirm with Trudy as to where exactly the event is taking place at. Aria won’t be able to attend, so Ying G. will assist Michael to conduct the assembly.

 

 

  • COAC Updates Halloween Party and Oct. 27 meeting by Laurence (remote)

 

Laurence has agreed to present to COAC an agreement which will allow MSU students to participate in their events at no cost. COAC hasn’t gotten back to Laurence yet; therefore, the MSU Congress will not publicize until the agreement has been signed.

Dawson is hosting their Halloween Party on October 25th and Vanier is hosting theirs on Nov. 1st. 

 

 

  • Devoir environnemental collectif (DEC) call summary by Laurence

 

This business will be further discussed textually on the Congress group chat or to be discussed at a later date.

 

 

  • Inter club relay race question by Laurence

 

This business will be further discussed textually on the Congress group chat or to be discussed at a later date.

 

 

  • Bill 21 pins by Laurence 

 

This business will be further discussed textually on the Congress group chat or to be discussed at a later date.

 

 

  • Cultural week presented by Zhaoran

 

Cultural Week will be taking place from November 18th to 22th. Zhaoran has already booked student lounge from 19th(Tuesday) to 22nd(Friday).

On Nov. 19th, there will be a Cultural club fair. Executives of all cultural clubs have been contacted; four have confirmed their participation and will have a booth to present their activities.

Zhaoran is still looking for activities to organize during the other APs and will keep Congress updated. Activities done in the past include cultural fashion show, activities with music, etc. Congress might consider to host a fashion show combined with musical performances.

 

 

  • 4873 Update presented by Amanda  

 

Congress has voted on reimbursing all students who purchased over-priced 4873 tickets. However, Amanda can’t reimburse them through Eventbrite as it doesn’t allow partial reimbursements. 

In conclusion, Congress will obtain a list of the 28 students entitled to a reimbursement. All students on campus will be given a cheque. Congress will contact people who aren’t enrolled anymore but in town and give them the option of picking up the cheque at the college. The rest will be reimbursed through E-transfer, in which case Congress will be responsible for the transaction fee.

 

 

  • Academic Council PM presented by Michael

 

Laurel, Aria and Michael went to the first Academic Council meeting and all gave good input. Michael had been placed on the IPESA Review Committee, Aria has been placed on the Admissions Committee, and Laurel has been placed on the Planning Committee.

 

 

  • School sweater presented by Michael

 

Michael will get the contact information of Neil, the person Congress usually works with for merch. Trudy also mentions that Neil does price-matching. Congress can always go back and talk to Neil if a company with cheaper prices is found. 

 

 

  • Halloween decorations presented by Michael

 

Halloween decorations preferably need to be done by next week. Congress members are welcomed to jot down ideas for decorations in the Google Drive folder under Student Advocacy. 

Some suggestions are for every Congress member to have a special Halloween hat and Halloween costume, and to buy candy and put them in bowls to give out. Congress will advertise on Facebook about its very own trick-or-treat and give candy to students who visit the office. Congress can also decorate the student lounge but needs to take down all decorations before Open House.

 

 

  • Updates on end of semester party presented by Andrew

 

Andrew found a venue in Griffintown. They do not provide a bar or sound system; however, if they lower the price, Congress will be able to rent external sound system using the money saved from it. Andrew is planning to reach out to DJ David Lotty Goodman, who’s a Marianopolis alumni. 

Andrew told the venue that Congress’ budget was 6000$ in order to get them to lower the price as much as possible. Andrew is waiting to confirm the venue and the date of the party before applying for an alcohol permit with Misha. Andrew will be getting pictures and videos of the venue on Monday and will send in the Congress group chat. 

 

 

  • Varia

 

 

 

  • Poetry night by Darya 

 

Poetry Night will be taking place on Nov. 21st. Every member of the Committee will be helping to organize. Misha will contact Shaika Cafe, where the event was hosted last year, to host the event again. The event will collaborate with Spoken Word Club and potentially with TEDx club. For the event, Darya opened it up to poetry, rap, slam, talking, etc.

Social Justice committee will create a Facebook page and an Instagram page for the event. 

 

 

  • Self-love workshops by Darya

 

Darya is currently waiting for the student lounge to be available and would like self-love workshops to happen there as soon as possible.

Some workshop ideas include inviting yoga teachers for yoga sessions, a collaboration with clubs such as mental health club. Darya will also reach out to stress management counsellor, Cody, to organize a workshop. Trudy suggested to have counsellors to answer general questions.

Compared to Zen Week, self-love week will be more about self-confidence.

 

 

  • Office hours presented by Michael

 

Office hours has been printed and will be posted next week. The background will be permanent and laminated. Each Congress member will have their name tag added onto it. 

Ying G. volunteers to bring in colourful post-its and Ying C. will make the nametags.

Congress is considering to write names and corresponding positions on the post-its.

 

 

  • MariTV presented by Michael

 

Michael brings up the idea of MariTV, inspired by Vanier TV, an Instagram account run by Vanier student union that posts events and activities of Vanier College with videos, guests, student takeovers, etc. Ying G doesn’t think it’s a good idea to start a similar account for Marianopolis since Myriam is already running an official Marianopolis Instagram account to advertise student life. Another Instagram account might be distracting and spreading out the focus. Ying G. already gave her the idea of the Instagram story Q&A and will follow up on the logistics.

However, the MSU Congress is still interested in this idea since it’s more accessible if it’s ran by students (MSU Congress). The platform can be called MariTV and posts reminders, announcements, sub-stories to document cool events, etc. Michael will bring it up to student advocacy committee. Ying C. volunteers to be in charge and Michael will help her create it. 

 

 

  • Adjournment

 

Motion to adjourn – Passed (unanimously)

 

This meeting was adjourned at 5:45 P.M.

Total duration: 1 hour and 37 minutes

By |2019-11-11T21:21:48+00:00November 11th, 2019|Minutes|0 Comments

Leave A Comment