Marianopolis Student Union Congress
2020-2021 Academic Year
|Location: Marianopolis College, on the traditional unceded Indigenous lands of the Kanien’kehá:ka/Mohawk Nation|
Day: Monday, August 21, 2020
Time of Start: 4:15 PM
|Facilitator: Laurence Liang|
Meeting type: Weekly
Note taker and timekeeper: Laurence Liang
|List of attendees (Congress members): Mahmuda Sekendra Mahin, Tristan Boucher, Misha Fotovati, Maria-Vera Azadian, Emanuel Cosimo Curto, Zhaoran Wu, Laurence Liang.|
List of attendees (guests): Si Wen ShenStudent Services Representative: None
- Call to Order
The Regular Weekly Marianopolis Student Union (MSU) Congress Meeting of August 21, 2020, was convened at 4:15 PM by President Laurence Liang.
- Roll Call of Members
The MSU Congress Members who are present at this meeting are: Mahmuda Sekendra Mahin, Tristan Boucher, Misha Fotovati, Maria-Vera Azadian, Emanuel Cosimo Curto, Zhaoran Wu, Laurence Liang.
- Guests presented by Mahmuda Sekendra Mahin
The guests who are present at this meeting are: Si Wen Shen, a representative from the Marianopolis World Review.
- Approval of last meeting’s Minutes
The Minutes of the Regular Weekly MSU Congress Meeting of August 10th, 2020 were written by Laurence Liang. These Minutes were approved by Laurence Liang on the 21st of August, 2020.
- Approval of the Agenda
The Agenda of this day’s meeting has been unanimously approved.
- Unfinished Business and General Orders
- New Business
- Meeting Length by Zhaoran
Zhaoran states that the current meeting duration, averaging 2 hours, is too long for a Congress meeting as the semester begins. There was a consensus among Congress members that only topics that cannot be solved outside of the meetings should be put on the agenda, and that a scheduled end time should be put in place. Misha also states that she discussed the meeting length issue with Aria Khiabani, 2019-2020 MSU president, and that Aria suggests that imposing a 5-minute limit on topics and subsequently moving them to varia is not the most efficient solution, as some topics need more than 5 minutes to complete discussion.
- MSU Hoodies presented by Misha
A consensus emerged that MSU hoodies will be distributed during the Winter 2021 semester. In the coming weeks, MSU Congress will release a survey to estimate the number of hoodies that will be ordered by the student body, therefore allowing a more realistic estimate of setting the price for the hoodies.
- Welcome Back Event presented by multiple people
Tristan and Zhaoran sent the final Welcome Back Event report to Alex Polkki and the PRREST Committee for approval. Official approval for the Welcome Back Event should arrive next Monday, August 24. The Eventbrite will be opened at 11:00 PM on Monday, August 24. It was also suggested that first year students interested in running for Congress could help volunteer to have a better feel of what it is like to be on the team.
- Academic Council Appointments presented by Misha
Misha is looking into appointing 2 members from different programs to take part in the Academic Council.
- MSU presentation at the Board meeting presented by Laurence
Laurence asks Congress members to message the Slack group to add any content to the MSU update at the Board of Governors Meeting on Tuesday, August 21.
- Internal Congress GCalendar presented by Laurence
Laurence created a Google Calendar sub-calendar for Congress’ internal usage. Laurence added the 7 second years to the calendar.
- Final Election Dates presented by Mau
Mau has determined the final election dates.
– August 28: Info session for first years during the Congress meeting
– September 2: Application deadline (11:59 PM)
– September 4: Info session for first years during the Congress meeting
– September 5: Campaign photo and platform sent to Maria (11:59 PM)
– September 6: Platforms up on the MSU website
– September 7-11: Election week
– September 10: Debate during AP (online)
– September 12-14: Go Out to Vote
– September 15: Results are out during Activity Period, encourage Congress members to get tested for COVID-19 if needed
– September 18-20: Retreat
- Debate and MWR presented by Mau
Mau is looking into the logistics of the first year election debate that will be hosted by the Marianopolis World Review during AP on Thursday, September 10, 2020.
- ERC members presented by Mau
Mau says that she and Trudy have chosen the 5 Elections and Referenda Committee (ERC) members earlier during the week.
- Retreat presented by Mau
A few options were presented for the Congress retreat: renting a place, camping, staying overnight at the College or having daily activities. The consensus was that the Congress team would vote on the desired activity that evening on the Slack group.
- Website updates to Maria presented by Mau
Mau says that Fall 2020 election content is ready to be put online on the Congress website.
- Admin meeting PM presented by Laurence and Mau
Laurence drafted a Google Docs with the question and answer response from the first weekly meeting between Congress and the Academic Dean.
- Meeting Length by Zhaoran
Motion to adjourn – Passed unanimously
This meeting was adjourned at 5:45 PM.
Total duration: 1 hours and 30 minutes